Who is Ultimate Taekwondo……?
Address: The Den, Unit 2 Gunhills Lane, Armthorpe, Doncaster, DN3 3EB.
Satellite Clubs: Sprotbrough (Doncaster), Adwick (Doncaster) and Sheffield.
Lead Coach: Kathy Hook 6th Dan.
Support Coaches: Dave Morrison 5th Dan, Sophie Morrison 4th Dan, Ryan Gomersall 4th Dan, Odette Stringwell 4th Dan, Luke Millar 4th Dan, Jenny Furness 3rd Dan, Karl Crowley 3rd Dan, Sam Gough 2nd Dan.
Background and origins of the club:
Founded by Kath Hook, Great Britain’s first female 6th Dan Master, the club has gone from strength to strength. In 2009 Kath and her husband Dave, also a 6th Dan Master opened their first full time Taekwondo Gym in Armthorpe. “The Den” was an overnight success. By the end of the year the name, the club and the students had out grown the gym. The club had by this time won the British Championships outright and had claimed a title of best European Club Side, with students representing their country in the national team at all levels in sparring and poomsae. The long awaited move came October 2010 to a bigger and better facility to train in. Still in Armthorpe and still with the name “The Den” the focus of quality instruction could continue, the club could accept more students and ultimately improve the lives of many more people. The reputation of “The Den” has spread with students travelling significant distances to train twice a week to improve their chances of being Olympic Champions. Ultimate Taekwondo is more than a martial arts club it is a family. Just as Kath’s dad inspired and supported her all those years, Kath and Dave feel it is their duty to carry on the family values and traditions, making sure their experience and knowledge is passed down for many generations to come.
Ultimate Taekwondo is a non-profit making club and all fees, donations and sponsorship are put into “The Den”, to provide a safe roof over the heads of its family members, we always welcome new students and teach all aspects of Taekwondo within a structured training program.
Our development philosophy:
Ultimate Taekwondo’s Misson Statement is:
“The goal of Ultimate Taekwondo is to develop and promote the ideals of responsibility, hard work, sportsmanship and teamwork within a safe and positive environment. Individual growth is enhanced through competition, discipline and fair play to enable the players to become the best they can possibly be. These goals will be accomplished by providing structured programs and all the information and support athletes need’.
We have a strong belief in developing confidence in every individual and are confident as a club. We have recently had a motto of ours made into to sign for the gym wall “This is an environment where success is inevitable”. This, along with our tagline “Where winning is everything” promotes a strong and positive attitude within the club which is reflected in the athlete’s performances and results.
Our proudest achievements:
- Owen Turner – European Cadet Champion 2016
- 10 National Champions 2016
- Leah Moorby – Junior European Bronze Medallist 2015
- Mason Yarrow – World Cadet Bronze Medallist 2015
- Leah Moorby – Junior World Bronze Medallist 2014
- South Yorkshire Sport Clubmark Award achieved
- GB Taekwondo Talent Club Status achieved
Which of our players have been selected to the GB Taekwondo pathway:
- Mason Yarrow
- Leah Moorby
- Amelia Pashley
- Jack Lockwood
- Alex Needham
- Tim Needham
- Aneila Afsar
- Owen Turner
- Elise Johnson
- Tyler Barwell
- Latisha Garbett
- Emily Gough
- Katie Turland
- Connor Lill
- Jordan Lill
- Oliver Hammond
- Lincoln Strong
Players supplied to Academy in past 5 years:
- Leah Moorby
- Assisted in preparation/coaching of Bradley Sinden
Our key achievements and relationships:
- Grant received from Sport England to set up and develop new satellite Club in Sheffield.
- East Midlands First Aid – provide quality Frist Aid training to Ultimate coaches.
- 8 Coaches attended Level 2 Coaches Course.
- Fundraising done to purchase full sets of PSS equipment to run 5 full PSS systems including
- hardware, software, body armours, laptops & monitors.
- Fundraising done to purchase complete set of new mats for The Den with the help of a donation from a local Award Scheme for work in the Community.
- Working with GB Taekwondo to achieve Talent Club status.
- Seminars with outside coaches/players – Tony Grisman, Mahamo Cho, Sarah Stevenson.
- South Yorkshire Sport – Granted Clubmark to the Club, grants received for Satellite Club in Adwick, Doncaster, grants received for Coaches to attend Level 2 coaches course
- West Yorkshire Sport – Grant received for Satellite Clubs
- Close relationship with Koryo Taekwondo Academy Holland – regular camps held over here and at their training centre.